Web Hosting Alternatives- What Does the Future Say about Them?
The future of web hosting lies in the cloud and grid options By Sathishkumar Varatharajan
Photo by The Planet
Everybody knows that the web hosting services actually run different web servers that allow their users to store various data. Additionally, no matter whether we are talking about small or big companies, most of them need permanent services that allow them to connect to the internet for completing their tasks. Therefore, all these activities need the support of some reliable hosting services, which come divided into different categories, such as:
- Free services: These services are usually limited, being provides by different companies which cannot really afford to offer the facilities that the paid hosting companies ensure.
- Shared Services: These services actually allow users to place their websites together on the same servers. These servers have different capabilities, of only a few hundreds or thousands of websites.
- Reseller Services: This web hosting option gives clients the chance to also become web hosts. These opportunities allow resellers to own their own servers or use other alternatives, such as shared servers.
- Virtual Dedicated Services: Commonly known as Virtual Private Servers, these options divide a server into numerous virtual servers. These services provide different resources, which are based on the numerous relationships that exist between various VPSs. The VPS services also allow users to get a root access to different virtual spaces they own. In these situations, the users are responsible for maintaining and patching the servers.
- Dedicated Services: These services allow users to get their own servers and fully control them. However, in these cases, the users do not own the servers. Similar to the VPSs, the dedicated services make the users responsible for maintaining the servers they operate.
- Colocation Services: In this situation, the web hosting company provides the physical location for the server that belongs to its client. In these cases, the services mainly include the necessary storage facilities, internet access and electrical support.
- Cloud, Grid and Clustered Hosting Services: The cloud service allows users to benefit from some reliable, scalable and powerful hosting facilities, which are ensured by a decentralized hosting. The grid hosting service requires the server cluster to act similar to a grid, being composed from multiple nodes. And the clustered hosting comes along with multiple servers, which accommodates identical content for the best possible resource utilization.
The Future of Web Hosting
Although the most popular web hosting services are the shared and dedicated alternatives, many specialists consider that the future of web hosting lies in the cloud and grid options. And this is because even though these two options are not really the best choices for all the available applications, they do reflect some great technology advancements which represent the future in web hosting.
Moreover, the experts intend to develop these two technologies even more than before so that they have great chances to become some perfect replacements for the typical dedicated and shared web hosting solutions. For example, the grid option has great chances to become the most powerful web hosting option that can easily handle impressive site loads. And as science and progress go hand in hand, we can be sure of the fact that we are going to witness some great developments, which will highlight the best possible web hosting alternatives.
Author: Sathishkumar Varatharajan